Our School Senedd
The primary aim of the School Senedd is to give our pupils a voice. Having a School Senedd gives our pupils ownership of their school community and shows them that their opinions are valued and listened to.
There are many important life skills that can be developed by having a School Senedd such as decision-making, taking responsibility, teamwork and developing economic and financial awareness, all ways of making sure that we are helping our pupils to become confident individuals and responsible citizens.
The School Senedd consists of one appointed representative from each year group along with the Head Boy, Head Girl and a member of staff.
The School Senedd is an ideal opportunity for pupils to get more involved in the way a school is run – INVOLVING EVERY VOICE.
The School Senedd benefits the whole school community as it provides opportunities for pupils to communicate their feeling as well as influence decisions that are made.
Pupil voice structure – to ensure that each member of the school community has the opportunity to express their own views.
Some of the strategies the Senedd have put in place so far:-
- Planning the Welsh Language Policy for the Bronze Siarter Iaith Award
- Working alongside the Headteacher on awarding an afternoon every fortnight for perfecting work during home schooling.
- Planning outdoor activity areas in the new playground
- Raising funds for new resources
- Visiting the new building at Ystalyfera site and giving their views on improvements to be made – such as breakout areas and the canteen.
- Choosing sandwiches and wraps for the school canteen.
- Evaluating and refining the school vision for Curriculum for Wales
How the members are chosen?
Every pupil has an opportunity to be a member of the School Senedd and year group committee.
Application is through an application form and every pupil has an interview with the senior prefects.
Two representatives are chosen by the senior pupils to represent their year group on the Senedd.
There is also a year committee with representatives from each class on the committee and the school Senedd representatives who feedback after meetings to the Senedd.