Join Ystalyfera 6th Form
- A centre of excellence that unlocks students' potential by providing the best education and effective life skills, allowing them to fulfill their ambitions either through Further Education or in the world of work.
- A centre that develops students with a mature and responsible attitude, by acting as role models within and outside the school community in various activities.
- A centre where service to the school and the wider community is considered in line with academic success, which is at the heart of the ethos of excellence.
Ystalyfera KS5 Curriculum
Click on the link below to gain access to last year’s options website. It contains information on all the available courses in the 6th form together with video presentations by subject leaders.
*Please note that all pupils must respond to the options form at the end of the option's website with their 3 options by 15/02/2023. All pupils must respond even if they are not intending on returning to the sixth form. The form will open during the options evening on 08/02/2023.
Preparing for the Future
Thorough preparation for the future, whether it be in employment, training or Higher Education, is an essential part of Canolfan Gwenallt’s responsibility to its students. This includes:
- Personal and Social education programme,
- The Welsh Baccalaureate qualification
- Personal statement and CV writing guided by University lecturers
- Careers guidance adviser from Careers Wales on site.
- A close working relationship with Menter Iaith Nedd Port Talbot.
- Visiting speakers
- Higher education fair
- Advice and assistance in preparing for interviews
- Mock interviews
- Wide range of extra-curricular opportunities
- Thorough preparation for the UCAS process
- Assistance with completing UCAS and other applications
- A close link with form tutors every day
- Close monitoring of students’ work
- 3 Reports in Year 12 and 13
- Parents’ evenings
- Individual interviews with senior management
- Opportunity for private study
- Seren Network
The Seren Network was created by the Welsh Government to support Wales' brightest students in achieving their academic potential. Offering a variety of academic activities, the Seren Network will provide knowledge, experience and support to help students make successful applications to our top universities.
Teachers from schools and colleges in the area will work together to deliver a coherent program of activities for our pupils and other local high achievers. These are intended to extend and challenge beyond the A-level curriculum, and give opportunities to improve subject knowledge with a peer group of other students. Staff from leading UK universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, will ensure that students have the latest information, advice and support when making university and course decisions.